[PlanetCCRMA] F11, alsa cards and udev

Simon Fielding s.fielding at wmcce.org
Mon Jun 15 02:00:30 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 09:42 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 10:20 +0100, Simon Fielding wrote:
> > I don't know if this is of use to anyone but I did some experimentation
> > a couple of months ago on F11 (without CCRMA or rt-kernel) with multiple
> > sound cards. I've just recently realised that I sent the results to LAD
> > rather than LAU or CCRMA which in hindsight was probably a mistake. The
> > archive links are
> >
> > http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2009/05/0000.html
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2009/05/0001.html
> >
> > If this is any use to anyone, or if there is any more testing anybody
> > can suggest, I'd be quite happy to take this further.
>
> Thanks for the links, any and all information is useful!!
>
> A comment with regards to card order. The currently recommended way to
> deal with this is to use the card names instead of the numbers. In that
> way the cards can end up in any slot and jack will always pick up the
> right one (same as using "eth0" or "eth1" instead of the id of the
> network card).
>
> If you do a:
>   cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> You get a list of installed cards (this is on my laptop):
> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0xfe020000 irq 17
>
> Then you pick the string in between '[]', "Intel" in my case and use it
> when specifying the hardware device to use in qjackctl's device field:
>
>   hw:Intel
> instead of:
>   hw:0
>
> Seems to work just fine...
> -- Fernando

Unfortunately, I don't have the kit in the office at the moment - it's
back home being used for its real purpose but from what I remember,
there was no real problem - it was just that, using your example, card 0
showed as eg HDA-Intel but was actually something else and the HDA-Intel
was eg card 3. As I said, no real problem - just an inconsistency which
I wasn't sure of the source of.

Cheers,
Simon