[PlanetCCRMA] jack-dssi-host

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Dec 8 07:56:40 PST 2010

S C Rigler writes:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Len <lenb_99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how to keep Network
> > Manager from re-writing /etc/hosts on each reboot?  The gui for dssi clients
> > (hexter, fluidsynth-dssi, etc) will only appear if the hostname is
> > associated with localhost in /etc/hosts, but nm keeps modifying the file and
> > overwriting my changes
>

> Meant to reply all...
>
>  Absolutely not off topic since this screws with just about everything audio
> related.  I've tried blacklisting the ipv6 module and it helped somewhat but
> I believe audacity might not have been happy about it.  Now I'm back to
> editing the hosts file every day.

I simply disable NM. It does nothing for me that I can't do much more
reliably.

As far as I can tell, NM exists to absolve the technically disinclined
from knowing anything about how connections are made. So, it can
discover new WAP options? Well, I don't need that--so I simply insure NM
isn't running in any runlevel. Haven't missed it yet.

Janina