[PlanetCCRMA] jack-dssi-host

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 10:48:30 PST 2010

--- On Wed, 12/8/10, Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote:

From: Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net>
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] jack-dssi-host
To: "S C Rigler" <riglersc at gmail.com>
Cc: planetccrma at ccrma.Stanford.EDU, "Len" <lenb_99 at yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2010, 10:56 AM

S C Rigler writes:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Len <lenb_99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how to keep Network
> > Manager from re-writing /etc/hosts on each reboot?  The gui for dssi clients
> > (hexter, fluidsynth-dssi, etc) will only appear if the hostname is
> > associated with localhost in /etc/hosts, but nm keeps modifying the file and
> > overwriting my changes
>

> Meant to reply all...
>
>  Absolutely not off topic since this screws with just about everything audio
> related.  I've tried blacklisting the ipv6 module and it helped somewhat but
> I believe audacity might not have been happy about it.  Now I'm back to
> editing the hosts file every day.

I simply disable NM. It does nothing for me that I can't do much more
reliably.

As far as I can tell, NM exists to absolve the technically disinclined
from knowing anything about how connections are made. So, it can
discover new WAP options? Well, I don't need that--so I simply insure NM
isn't running in any runlevel. Haven't missed it yet.

Janina
Yes, so it seems that, while not enabled by default in previous versions of Fedora, in Fedora 13 NetworkManager replaces the former Network Administration Tool (system-config-network) while providing enhanced functionality (e.g., mobile broadband configuration).  See fedora (13) project documentation, Chapter 5. Network Configuration.

The simplest fix for the technically disinclined (or otherwise) is to disable the NetworkManager service and re-enable the old network service (which respects IPV6INIT=no).

Apparently, full support for IPv6 has been added to NetworkManager, whether you want it or not.

Len