[PlanetCCRMA] Problem with qjackctl in Fedora 14

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 09:59:11 PST 2010

Hello all,

Sorry I have been busy lately with real life and my upstream projects,
and I didn't spend much time on packaging lately (except I built the
new qjackctl-0.3.7 recently). I hope you figured things out by now.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
>> You can add this file (name it "90-jack.conf") to the
>> /etc/security/limits.d/:
>>
>> ---- CUT HERE
>> # Planet CCRMA, jack-audio-connection-kit
>> #
>> # Allow processes access to rt priority and memory locking
>> # without limits, needed by the rt kernel and jackd
>> *     -       rtprio  99
>> *     -       memlock 4194304
>
> Possibly silly questions. Perhaps because I upgraded from an earlier
> version I have two files in /etc/security/limits.d/
> 90-nproc.conf  99-jack.con

Typo? It should be 99-jack.conf. Otherwise pam won't read it.

> questions:
> 1) do the number matter (i.e. is it important that the jack one is 90)?

The documentation says: "The files are parsed one after another in the
order of "C" locale."

That means 99 beats 90. Unfortunately, I did set the conf file that
comes with jack to 99. I was probably assuming the other way around.
Should I pull that number down in the jack package so the
corresponding PlanetCCRMA package can override? Of course, you can
give RT priorities to all users, then 99-jack.conf file won't do
anything. But this would be insecure, right?

> 2) This is what I have in 99-jack.conf
> @jackuser - rtprio 99
> @jackuser - memlock 4194304
> @jackuser - nice -10
>
> @pulse-rt - rtprio 20
> @pulse-rt - nice -20
>
> I presume that since I am a member of the jackuser group rhat should work,
> right?

Correct.

A note to the other people who are reading this email: The
99-jack.conf file that comes with Fedora has @jackuser - rtprio 20.
Oded modified it to @jackuser - rtprio 99 which is necessary for the
RT kernel use.

Cheers,