[PlanetCCRMA] Basic Newbie stuff

Lloyd Hanson planetccrma at webmoron.net
Mon Sep 6 12:05:28 PDT 2010

Sorry for the late reply, but I hate posting spurious information, so I
have wanted to test everything twice to verify what I've been doing.

My problems with jackd were largely self inflicted.  I was starting it
from the command line and mistakenly thought it was refusing to start.
So I was then bringing up Qjackctl and of course it wouldn't start
either as there was already an instance of jackd running.

The epiphany came when I d/l Hydrogen for testing as per Fernando's
suggestion.  Thank you Fernando!   I opened it and suddenly had sound.
This surprised me because I figured I shouldn't have anything if jackd
wasn't running (I hadn't started it).  But I found a copy running, which
turned out to be a temporary copy that Hydrogen had started.

Linux has been on several of my computers for a very long time, but I've
never explored the audio subsystems in any depth. Mainly, I used them
for file and web serving and little else.  In that sense I am so far
behind the curve it's ridiculous.

But I now have audio through jack, which is my main goal.  Now I just
have to figure out how to get audio through the card for the routine
stuff, like the web browser, flash player, etc.

Niels, I will try mudita 24 in the not too distant future, but I need to
walk before I can run.  I have yet to install the real-time kernel and
fully avail myself of the gifts that Fernando and company have made
available to the community.

Thank you all for your responses.  I'm sure that as I move up the
learning curve, I'll be back to pick the excellent minds that frequent
the planet!

Lloyd Hanson