[PlanetCCRMA] Basic Newbie stuff

Mon Sep 6 12:48:11 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 15:05 -0400, Lloyd Hanson wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply, but I hate posting spurious information, so I
> have wanted to test everything twice to verify what I've been doing.
>
> My problems with jackd were largely self inflicted.  I was starting it
> from the command line and mistakenly thought it was refusing to start.
> So I was then bringing up Qjackctl and of course it wouldn't start
> either as there was already an instance of jackd running.
>
> The epiphany came when I d/l Hydrogen for testing as per Fernando's
> suggestion.  Thank you Fernando!   I opened it and suddenly had sound.
> This surprised me because I figured I shouldn't have anything if jackd
> wasn't running (I hadn't started it).  But I found a copy running, which
> turned out to be a temporary copy that Hydrogen had started.
>
> Linux has been on several of my computers for a very long time, but I've
> never explored the audio subsystems in any depth. Mainly, I used them
> for file and web serving and little else.  In that sense I am so far
> behind the curve it's ridiculous.
>
> But I now have audio through jack, which is my main goal.  Now I just
> have to figure out how to get audio through the card for the routine
> stuff, like the web browser, flash player, etc.

Ah, ok. That requires some customization because of your particular
soundcard, it's been a long standing "bug"... Pulseaudio (which is the
subsystem that handles audio in Fedora when you are not using jack) does
not find a configuration for this soundcard and does not use it. There
are several ways to fix this, the newest I have been trying is (from one
of my ticket logs):

--------
On Fri Jul 30 10:35:16 2010, nando wrote:
> There is now a new way to configure multichannel soundcards so that
> they work with pulseaudio, see:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/624
>
> and comment #52 in:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/178442
>
> We need to configure this in our workstations and add all the stuff to
> normalize (we currently do this for the ice1712 cards but not for the
> rme cards).

Created a udev rule in:

/lib/udev/rules.d/91-pulseaudio-extra.rules

Create ice1712 configuration file in:

/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/via-ice1712.conf
--------

(I'm attaching the two files that I am using, maybe they will work for
the 1010lt, I don't know).

Then you could use the "Sound Preferences" applet to see what pulseaudio
sees in your system (you may need to reboot or restart pulseaudio - then
right click on the speaker in the top panel in your desktop if you are
using gnome) and select the default sink and source for an application.
Things are not so easy, see:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/DefaultDevice

What I did in my test machine was to disable the onboard soundcard in
the BIOS so that Pulse does not have any options and always selects the
Delta 66 (the card in my machine).

-- Fernando