[PlanetCCRMA] pulseaudio successfully banished to the AC97 CODEC?

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Apr 25 20:53:11 PDT 2011

I just discovered an apparently valuable utility with the humble name
"Volume Control" at

    Applications / Sound & Video / PulseAudio Volume Control

There is a Configuration tab where it appears possible to disable
devices by setting them to "off".  I disabled everything but the AC97
CODEC (the little audio chip on the motherboard), and now it appears
pulseaudio is happily using that while JACK uses the EDIROL UA-25EX
(hooked up via USB).

PA/JACK coexistence is peaceful for the time being.  Before, I had to
be careful to start JACK before something like Chrome that used pulseaudio.

- Julius

Julius O. Smith III <jos at ccrma.stanford.edu>
Prof. of Music and Assoc. Prof. (by courtesy) of Electrical Engineering
CCRMA, Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/