[PlanetCCRMA] pulseaudio successfully banished to the AC97 CODEC?

Mon Apr 25 21:31:39 PDT 2011

On 04/25/2011 08:53 PM, Julius Smith wrote:
> I just discovered an apparently valuable utility with the humble name
> "Volume Control" at
>
>      Applications / Sound&  Video / PulseAudio Volume Control
>
> There is a Configuration tab where it appears possible to disable
> devices by setting them to "off".  I disabled everything but the AC97
> CODEC (the little audio chip on the motherboard), and now it appears
> pulseaudio is happily using that while JACK uses the EDIROL UA-25EX
> (hooked up via USB).
>
> PA/JACK coexistence is peaceful for the time being.  Before, I had to
> be careful to start JACK before something like Chrome that used pulseaudio.

Is this on Fedora 14? When JACK starts PA should relinquish the card
(and of course nothing will come out of Chrome audio - I have not tried
Chrome myself). What error messages were you getting? Perhaps Chrome is
not using PA for audio? (in that case all bets are off).