[PlanetCCRMA] GUI Issues with Dell Vostro

Jeff Sandys jpsandys at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:25:22 PDT 2012

Peter,
It is probably not the graphics hardware with the intel chipset.

fedora 14 is past end of life, you should install fedora 15 or 16 instead,
this might fix your problem.

If you are just recording you don't need really low latency.
Same for playing back MIDI files, low latency is not necessary.

However if you are playing a MIDI keyboard into a soft-synth, you
may want a latency proportional to your keyboard skills.  Same
thing for recording using effects in real time, you want the latency
in proportion with your ability to react.

For recording with Audacity or playing back MIDI files with Timidity
the standard kernel with 1024x3 (bytesxbuffers JACK setting) plays
with no xruns on my equivalent laptop and is adequate for my piano
skills using a MIDI keyboard and a Bristol synth.

-- Jeff

From: Peter Adamson