[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora Installation Help

Donald Steven t6sn7gt at aim.com
Tue Apr 8 09:03:46 PDT 2014

Brian:

I can't speak to all your problems, but I had many issues with
Pulseaudio. I've learned to disable it (to just be using ALSA or Jack)
using the following, much of which I found out there on the web. This
works for me.

===

FIRST, clean up all the extra *pulse* PA packages out of your system
that can be removed:

alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
xine-lib-pulseaudio
xmms-pulse

NEXT, you will likely be left with the packages below: Try to remove
what you, especially Pulseaudio itself. Be careful though as some may
not be able to be removed without harm to other components:

pulseaudio
pulseaudio-gdm-hooks
pulseaudio-libs
pulseaudio-libs-glib2
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
pulseaudio-module-gconf
pulseaudio-module
pulseaudio-utils

NEXT, open gnome-session-properties (Menu -> System -> Preferences ->
Startup Applications) dialog and scroll to the bottom. There is listed
an item entitled “PulseAudio Sound System” – go ahead and remove the
checkmark from that option to disable it and close the dialog, saving
your options.

LAST STEP, stop the actual /usr/bin/pulseaudio binary from autospawning
in the background. In your home directory there is a .pulse subdirectory
(~/.pulse/) that stores per-user config files that are read before the
system defaults are attempted to be used (if per-user are missing).
Create a new file called client.conf in this directory:

$ nano ~/.pulse/client.conf

…and place these two lines in that file and save it:

autospawn = no
daemon-binary = /bin/true

These options should be a little self explanitory, we’re telling the
system to not autospawn the binary but just in case it does we’re also
telling it to run /bin/true instead of the real PA application.

Log out, log in (perhaps reboot) and – no more Pulseaudio

NOTE: Sometimes, an update to something or other will pull in Pulseaudio
related stuff and your sound will disappear. Check again 'from the top'
and all should be well.

Don