[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora Installation Help

Jeff Sandys jpsandys at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 16:02:09 PDT 2014

> Hi y'all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a responsive and responsible forum for installation
> help?
>
> I've been flailing with the Planet CCRMA since about Fedora 6, modprobing
> madly to get my
> Audigy recognized and trying (mostly in vain) to mediate between
> PulseAudio and Alsa.
> In my early days on a screaming 600 MHz machine I'd fire up Ardour and 45
> minutes later
> it would still be trying to draw the first screen.   Mostly I just use
> Audacity, Hydrogen, and
> Zynaddsubfx in Windows--because they work.  Recently I actually briefly
> got Jack to work
> In Fedora 19 with Hydrogen and Zynaddsubfx--a major breakthrough for me
> which was soon
> wiped out when I played a Youtube and I guess the flashplayer reset the
> audio to some
> configuration foreign to Jack.
>
> So I rashly decided to upgrade to Fedora 20 and see if they've fixed some
> of this.  The Live
> DVD just put multicolored snow on the screen.  So I tried a Yum update and
> it neglected to
> bring in the keys.  And then though I'd get the Fedora ice cream cone I'd
> get no login screen
> and no terminal.  After I learned to append a "3" to the vmlinuz line in
> the grub script I got
> my terminal and yum seemed to be chugging along but after I tried to
> update grub I only get
> grub rescue.  Using that I identified the location of the carcasses of my
> long-defunct Fedora
> 10 and Fedora 11 installations and found my Fedora 19 and 20
> installations, but at this point
> I need some hand-holding because I am very near but still so far away.
>
> 600Mhz, is this the machine you are trying to install Fedora 20?

To upgrade from Fedora 19 to Fedora 20 use fedup.

If you can stand a new installation (you have a backup or you put your home
directory in a separate partition with everything you want to saved) I
would get the Fedora Jam Spin, it has the packages you listed above and
lots more.  If you want PD, SuperCollider or other apps from PlanetCCRMA
you can add those after.  To save your home directory don't format it, but
check format for boot.  Let the installation package to it's thing.  I
don't think the Audigy card (if you are still using it) needs any special
setup.

Jack and Pulseaudio play well together with the newer Fedora installations.
When jack starts, pulse is suspended to release the audio device, and when
jack is done, the device is passed back to pulse.  This allows you to route
output from apps that are not jack aware like flash players through pulse
to jack, or to send jack output to pulse to send audio to your bluetooth or
other pulse compliant output.  Don't expect low latency with pulse in the
loop, but I doubt you were expecting that while watching youtube.

If you have more difficulties with installing Fedora 20 and music
applications ask on the Fedora Music maillist:

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys