[PlanetCCRMA] NVIDIA and RT Kernel (Fedora 20)

Jeremy M Booth bq20 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 21 11:13:37 PDT 2014

The last I checked the proprietary nvidia module wouldn't compile for
realtime kernels, or rather they won't allow it officially.  The only
real option is to get the user contributed akmod from rpmfusion.  First
you need to install that repo.  Try this:

sudo 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck \
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm
-E %fedora).noarch.rpm \
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm
-E %fedora).noarch.rpm'

and then:

sudo yum install akmod-nvidia.x86_64 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64

replace the x86_64 with i686 if you're running in 32bit.

You'll also need to install the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
alongside x86_64 if you want to run 32bit opengl apps.

This should disable the noveau module as the two aren't
compatible, and if for some reason it doesn't work and you get a blank
screen, try uninstalling it yourself completely and re-installing the
akmod.  The first time you reboot after installing the akmod, there may
be a delay during start up because that's when the module gets compiled.