[PlanetCCRMA] NVIDIA and RT Kernel (Fedora 20)

Steve Duell steveduell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 21:29:43 PDT 2014

Hey Folks,

I'm new to linux, and have gone through several distributions over the last
few weeks, looking for the right one.  I've tried and am very happy with
Fedora 19 & 20 (both Xfce and LXDE editions).  I've had no problems
installing the RT kernel, but running the nouveau driver for graphics
doesn't work well with my NVIDIA Geforce 8 chip.  Once enough windows are
open, or enough images load on a webpage, the display gets corrupted and I
can't continue to use the computer without a reboot.

I tried installing the proprietary drivers, which work fine on a stock
kernel, but the CCRMA RT kernel will not boot after the nvidia drivers are
installed.

I've googled the issue pretty deeply, and I see lots of conflicting
information about the exact steps to get the nvidia driver working with
F20.  I'm hoping that one of the power-users on this list has already
surmounted this issue and can walk a newbie through it, step-by-step.

I'm perfectly happy to start all over with a clean install of fedora (any
version) if it will make life easier for me or you.

Thanks a ton,

Steve