[PlanetCCRMA] Something's forcing HDMI as default ALSA device

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Aug 16 14:06:49 PDT 2014

Hi,

Something about the Linux kernel appears to me to have changed sometime
after kernel-3.13.10. I'm not certain just exactly when, but all the
kernels Fedora has released since 3.13.10 force the HDMI device as the
default ALSA audio device.

3.13.10 is the last kernel release where my carefully constructed ALSA
audio device ordering identifiers, in /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf,  work as
expected.
Any kernel beyond puts the onboard hdmi device as the default ALSA
device, which is simply untenable in my setup. For me it's not even that
I have nothing hanging off my HDMI port, I need the default device for
the Speakup screen reader, and I can't affect that on the Speakup side,
regretably. So, in effect,the system becomes unusable.

I note the CCRMA kernels for Fedora 20 are now also well behind current
Fedora releases and wonder if what I'm seeing is just one part of a
number of changes relating to audio.

Anyone know anything about this? Is there possibly a bug here that
should be tagged sooner rather than later? This is a 3-month old issue
now.

tia

Janina

--