[PlanetCCRMA] Something's forcing HDMI as default ALSA device

Brian Fay ovaltinevortex at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 15:08:33 PDT 2014

Hi Janina,

Is it possible to set your default card by modifying or creating a new
~/.asoundrc file? Doing this you should be able to create an alias for
"default."

If I'm recalling correctly, I've done this before to make my USB sound card
the default audio device. I'm not sure how Speakup selects its device, but
maybe doing this would help?

The .asoundrc setup will vary depending on setup, but there is some
documentation here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc#The_default_plugin

I hope it helps,
Brian Fay