[PlanetCCRMA] Something's forcing HDMI as default ALSA device

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Aug 16 21:33:47 PDT 2014

Hi, Don, Brian, All:

I think I've figured out how to handle my problem. Can't tell for sure
because the staging modules are still not built for the latest Fedora 20
kernel, and that's where Speakup is these days.

But, I'm sure there's some kind of bug. Here's what I did ...

I had my old $25 Chaintech PCI card set as my default ALSA device via
/etc/modprobe.d/local.conf using the ice1724 driver. Nice card for basic
audio, and especially nice as it handles both Speakup using the old IBM
Viavoice TTS and Orca using Speech-Dispatcher and Espeak all via the
same card, which the default intel-hda doesn't do, but that's another
story. I digress.

My complaint is that the ice driver doesn't appear to be loaded with the
newer kernels. Rather the hdmi from my ATI Radeon 6400 is grabbing ALSA
device 0.

On the older kernel the ice correctly grabs 0, the ATI HDMI comes up as
1, and the Intel-HDA remains at 5, where I've set it via local.conf.

So, here's what I did. I edited local.conf and moved the ice1724 to be
device 9.

I also edited /etc/asound.conf, where I have some directives as one
might have via .asoundrc, e.g, I changed:

defaults.ctl.card 9
defaults.pcm.card 9
   defaults.timer.card 9
etc

Now, even though the ATI Radeon HDMI still takes device 0, the Chaintech
comes up as the alsa default device, even though its ID is 9. I expect
Speakup will be happy once the staging rpm is built for the latest
Fedora 20 kernel-3.15.10-200.fc20.x86_64.

But now I'm also pretty sure there's a bug somewhere. I can't tell
where. I can't tell what driver the ATI HDMI is supposedly using. It
doesn't work, errors out on an aplay.

I guess I need to report this somewhere. I suspect it wouldn't matter
what device might be set to 0 via local.conf, the ATI would overwrite
that somewhere.

Janina