[PlanetCCRMA] Invalid signature

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 14:04:18 PDT 2015

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 2:00 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

On 04/17/2015 07:15 PM, Len wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Fedora 21 on a new system. After installing the
> planetccrma core packages, attempting to boot the realtime kernel gives
> the following:
>
>    error: /vmlinux-3.18.9-201.rt5.1.fc21.ccrma.x86_64+rt has invalid
> signature.
>    error: you need to load the kernel first.
>
>    Press any key to continue...
>
> Has anyone else seen this, or know what causes it?

Hi Len,

You are booting with a UEFI secure boot enabled.

I found this online that explains things a bit:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html-single/UEFI_Secure_Boot_Guide/

The short story is that your BIOS only allows you to boot "secure"
operating systems. Microsoft of course can sign their stuff and allow it
to run in those machines. Fedora eventually got this to work - I don't
remember the details now, but I don't have the ability to sign my
kernels with the proper credentials. So you have to disable this in your
BIOS.

This is all for "security"[*]
-- Fernando

Thanks, Fernando. I eventually figured out that it was related to secure boot. I was finally able to disable secure boot in the BIOS (by saving/backing up and then deleting the 'keys').

[*] but I bet that eventually it will mean you will not be able to boot
your own operating system on hardware you buy.

Hopefully this does not mean that eventually you won't be able to boot your own OS! I would at least hope there would always be a way to disable secure boot...
Cheers,Len