[PlanetCCRMA] external soundcard future

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Mar 2 00:47:48 PST 2015

Dear all,
I am wondering if anyone knows what the future of good soundcards looks like. At
the moment I rely on expresscard connectors (RME + an old focusrite using
firewire). I started realising that most new laptops don't have expresscard
slots any longer so this option seems to be closing. Does anyone have any
experience getting sound working through a USB<-expresscard adapter? Or should I
hurry up and buy a new laptop (my current one is 7 YO) before I ran out of
options? Would new soundcards being developed use USB3? Or?
 thanks
Oded