[Stk] Building stk on PS3 running with YLD 5

Elvis Dowson elvis_dowson@hotmail.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:03:27 +0000

Hi John,
               It's good to know that the MIDI sport series works! I came a
list of supported MIDI hardware and it was on the list.

Are you also working on Cell technology? The reason I got involved with Cell
in the first place is because I am working on a UML profile for the Cell
processor, to support automatic code generation in C++ using real-time UML
2.0. I used the IBM Cell Simulator last year, but now I have access to a PS3
and I'm trying to learn more about coding for this new processor, and then
attempt to refine the CBE UML Profile specification that I am working on.

I am yet to try STK on the PS3 and have not tried any of the open source
synthesis toolkits before. Have you seen the Korg OASYS? It uses linux for
it's O/S and has upgradeable synthesis engines via software, but runs on a
Pentium IV processor. Korg internally used to have a SynthKit to develop the
synthesis models and released one version of it when the OASYS was initially
released in a PCI form.

With regards to the PS3, I guess it is best used as an experimental
computational accelerator. However, I feel try to get STK to run on it and
probably vectorize some of the code, etc, it would just be an academic
exercise n I feel nobody would use it for making music. There has to be a
real differentiator/compelling reason to attempt to use a PS3 to make music,
n so far, I can't think of any! Unless someone tries to get it to sound more
powerful than the Access Virus TI, that's to the PS3 powerful processor or
something along similar lines.

When I think of an excuse to try to do something on the PS3, n I look at the
STK, I keep thinking its not the same as a dedicated synth manufacturer
putting a lot of effort n R&D into the synth engine, voicing, etc. I would
very much like to do something that would complement existing synths and
bring something unique to the table, but so far, haven't been able to come
up with an interesting concept/idea.

Elvis John Dowson

>From: John Dey <jsdey@optonline.net>
>To: Elvis John Dowson <elvis_dowson@hotmail.com>
>CC: stk <stk@ccrma.stanford.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Stk] Building stk on PS3 running with YLD 5
>Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:44:20 -0500
>
>Elvis,
>
>I have used Midsports 2x2 and uno with fedora core 5 with great success.  I
>haven't tried to download the firmware to those units on the PS3 but I
>might try.  I will report back.   I was stabbing in the dark with stk
>hoping that it would load and run using alsa.  I am going to drop stk for
>now and devote attention to figuring how to get "c" programs using the alsa
>API working.  I have tried to compile and load some simple test programs
>without success.  I know that at least parts of alsa work (e.g. aplay and
>speaker-test do).  Have you managed to compile and load any alsa programs?
>If so, could you share with me the compile and load options?  Thanks.
>
>John
>On Feb 14, 2007, at 12:03 AM, Elvis John Dowson wrote:

Spaces