[Stk] STK latency OK in Windows? Need recent Visual Studio?

Chuck Cooper plangent2 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 16:57:56 PDT 2008

I'm interested in using the STK to do things under Microsoft Windows with fairly  low latency-- say, less than 15 milliseconds, and using a buffer size on the order of 512 samples (at 44 kHz mono) or less.   I'd like to use ASIO drivers with an M-Audio Delta 44 interface. A couple of questions, probably for Gary:

1)  Is  Microsoft Windows XP OK for this?  Or do I really need to go to Linux?   (I was gonna start using Planet CCRMA several months ago, but got scared off by all the rocket-science Linux hassling that seems to be involved. I thought about using ChucK, but it's too slow or long-latency.)

2)  If I do this under MS Windows, do I need to (or should I) use a recent version of Visual Studio C++ to do the compilation, etc?    I saw on one of the STK sites that it is no longer compiles using Visual C++ 6.0 .

Thanks,
Chuck Cooper