[Stk] "patching" approach to stk?

Morgan Packard morgan at morganpackard.com
Thu Feb 3 15:06:36 PST 2011

Hi Stephen,
I feel like I may have asked a similar question here months ago, and gotten
a response from you :)
I'd like to keep everything in C++ land, use C++ to construct ugen graphs,
not have to worry about running a separate interpreter, or generating PD
files, especially if someone has already written something which makes doing
so a little easier.

The end of your email says:

*************************
An interesting tool might be

Steve
************************

are you offering to do my work for me? :)

thanks

-Morgan

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Stephen Sinclair
<sinclair at music.mcgill.ca>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Morgan Packard <morgan at morganpackard.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi There,
> > Thanks to all you wonderful people who have developed and made stk
> > available. I'm currently using a few stk classes in my iOS app, Thicket,
> and
> > I'm very thankful for not having had to implement them myself. I'm in the
> > process of evaluating a few different technologies for use going forward.
> > I'm wondering what the best approach to creating somewhat complex graphs
> of
> > stk objects is. I would love to be able to use STK a little bit more like
> > SuperCollider, ChucK, PD, etc, being able to think in terms of plugging
> > outputs in to inputs without having to pause to think about, for example,
> > storing a buffer of ADSR values to multiply against a buffer of sine wave
> > amplitudes which will then be used to modulate the pitch of another sine
> > wave.
> > I think that what I'm asking for is outside the core of STK, but perhaps
> I'm
> > wrong? Is anyone using STK this way? Is there any code available anywhere
> > which will help me create a graph of stk generators?
> > I'm considering switching entirely over to a higher-level synthesis tool.
> > But I like having all of my code in C/C++ land, and being able to access
> any
> > object I want easily and directly.
>
> Doesn't ChucK sort of provide that?
>
> Otherwise there exist PureData/Max objects for STK.
>
> Not sure if that's what you're asking about.
>
> An interesting tool might be
>
> Steve

Web:
http://www.morganpackard.com