[Stk] no luck getting clean output from crtsine

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 12:34:04 PDT 2011

maybe someone can shed light on this. I've got the crtsine example compiling
and running with both alsa and jack, on a system running Ubuntu studio with
the rt kernel. I can run heavy loads on ardour so I know audio is working
ok. My compilation commands were:

g++ -Wall -D__UNIX_JACK__ -D__LITTLE_ENDIAN__ -o jack_crtsine crtsine.cpp
/usr/local/src/RtAudio.cpp -lpthread -lrt -lstk -ljack -I/usr/include/stk

g++ -Wall -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -D__LITTLE_ENDIAN__ -o alsa_crtsine crtsine.cpp
/usr/local/src/RtAudio.cpp -lpthread -lrt -lstk -lasound -I/usr/include/stk

I've tried mucking about with the RT_BUFFER_SIZE setting in Stk.h

All examples run, but none give me a clean sine wave. The output is all over
the place with the pitch actually changing depending on the buffer size, and
the type of distortion sounding different. Changes to either the
RT_BUFFER_SIZE or the jack playback buffer size both change the output this
way, and for the life of me I can't find a sweet safe spot. Using other
audio apps, I'm able to use quite a wide range of jack buffer size.

Any clues?

thanks
Iain