[Stk] bow pressure units

Stephen Sinclair sinclair at music.mcgill.ca
Fri Aug 10 09:25:42 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am going to write in a paper that the STK Bowed class specifies a
bow pressure in normalized units.  It seems they are approximately
between 0 and 1.  I'm not 100% sure if this is correct, so I thought I
should just verify.  Does anyone know if the bow pressure, specified
by Bowed::controlChange(), is translatable to physical units?

controlChange() seems to accept MIDI values, which it normalizes to
0--1 range.  I know the BowTable is a bit of an ad-hoc simulation of a
transmission coefficient, so I'm not sure if it's based strictly on a
physically-meaningful unit.  My impression is that it's really just a
ratio of the supported range, which is unspecified.

(While I'm looking at Bowed documentation, by the way, I noticed that
Bowed.h still mentions "breath pressure" instead of "bow velocity".)

thanks,
Steve