[PlanetCCRMA] planet ccrma novice seeks help

Pablo Silva isorritmia@yahoo.com.mx
Tue Dec 2 11:12:30 2003

Hi!

I'm starting a linux project at our electronic music lab to try and ween ourselves as much as
possible from commercial software, or at least to have various alternatives open to our students.
I have a couple of questions I would like to ask the list, since I'm a relative newcomer to linux
and Planet CCRMA, about the best options for configuring the brand new computer we got for this.

1) First of all, I wondered what is the best distribution install option for our setup. We have a
double Xeon 2.66Ghz motherboard (no audio in the motherboard) and we're adding an RME DIGI96/8
auidio card. Should I go for the new Fedora or RedHat9? I assume I'll need the multiprocessor
kernel, no matter what...?

2) I've always had a dreadful time configuring ALSA, getting rid of OSS, and never could get it
working without dropouts. I wonder whether someone would mind guiding me through the process a
bit?

Thanks beforehand, and I hope to be participating in this particular planet's continued
exploration!

Pablo Silva