[PlanetCCRMA] sndlib and alsa api

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Fri Dec 19 02:05:02 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Juan Reyes wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 14:52, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > I think that sndlib autoswitches to alsa if jack is not running (just as
> > it used to switch to oss if alsa was not there).
> >
> > -- Fernando
> >

>  Actually the issue is that with the Dec 15 (apt) release of sndlib,
> sndplay tries to look to jack for several times until gives up and then
> binds to the alsa api which is what I use. In this process it writes
> several messages to standard output which is not annoying in a shell but
> it might be a bit distracting inside xemacs after several sndplay
> instances in clm.

I wrote this code, and I know about the problem. Its not sndlib that
writes the messages, its the jack library. Freqtweak has the same problem
if you try to start it without running the jack server.
I did post a patch to the jack development list long time
ago with a function to solve the problem, but it doesnt' seem to
have been accepted.