[PlanetCCRMA] Cinelerra recording

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 01:27:00 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:19:52 +0000, Joe Dell'Orfano wrote:
> Excuse me if this question is stupid, but...
>
> I am using a delta 1010LT audio card in my system. The m/b has an
> onboard via sound chip which I am no longer using. Alsa controls the
> 1010 nicely. Unfortunately, there is no way to plug the audio output
> from my DVD+RW drive to the sound card. I cannot get GRIP to record a CD
> from the drive, nor can I hear output when I try to play a standard
> music CD (of course).

Use grip's cdparanoia mode, it will read the audio data from the CD
without going through the soundcard. As a bonus its faster than realtime
and fixes up any recording glitches.

If you find that cdparanoia freezes or goes very slowly when it tries to
read the disk (try cdparanoia -B from the command line to check) you might
have a dodgy motherboard ide controller (mine is, its a gigabyte board,
via 333 athlon chipset), i just put the cdrom on a $10 pci ide card and
its fine now.

- Steve