[PlanetCCRMA] very strange alsa, no jack

mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu
Tue Apr 6 19:54:01 2004

I've recently installed the ccrma redhat kernel (the real one wouldn't
boot), and configured everything as listed.  Alsa configured fine, but it
took me a few day to figure out that the LINE OUT had now become my LINE
IN, so my speakers are connected to the OUT.

XMMS plays with the OSS output, the alsa plugin gives much noise.  But
jack will not start at all.  The messages in qjackctl read:

apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
20:49:38.327 Could not connect to JACK server as client.
20:49:39.453 JACK is stopping...
20:49:39.455 JACK was stopped successfully.

Besides my Line in/out switch up, the mixer controls that effect my sound
are: PCM, SURROUND, Line-In, and Duplicate.  Mutting the master has no
effect...and I only have stereo sound comming from an i810 chip, not
surround!  Could these problems be related to jack? Could alsa be routing
everthing in some absurd manner?

Thank you for any help..I'm lost,
mike