[PlanetCCRMA] need advice on optimizing IRQ for sound

Louis Lam lshoujun@yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 04:25:01 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to optimize the system for sound. Looking
through the "Tuning the System" part of the
installation part, I'm at the point where I'm looking
at the IRQs in the system.

I have the following when I look at /proc/interrupts:

          CPU0
  0:   22656444          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       5230          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
  7:    2244442          XT-PIC  EMU10K1
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi, ehci_hcd
 10:     255784          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, eth0
 11:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci
 12:     299974          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:     152742          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     180923          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

Looks like one of the more obvious things to do is to
get the soundblaster card (emu10k1) to a higher
priority than 7(lowest). Looking at the list of
interrupts on the system I see the "acpi" using IRQ 9.
Is acpi necessary for a DAW to function? Say I'm using
this system mainly for ardour, rosegarden. Should this
be disabled?

Thanks,
Louis