[PlanetCCRMA] fedora core problems

Lawrie Abbott lawrieabbott@iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 14 03:14:01 2004

Hi,
A couple of  problems with an  install yesterday on a Fedora Core machine.
Something I remember also happening with my RH9 machine...  building
JACK  bails out during configure, complaining about no libasound.
I found on both machines if I  add a symlink ie ln -s libasound.so
libasound.so.2  all is well. Both these machines are running CCRMA alsa
pagages eg alsa-lib-1.0.1-1.cvs.rh90.ccrma

After getting the FC1 up I  tried out Rohan Drapes jack.udp (see link at
end). It works quite well . I did a test playing alsaplayer thru jack
via LAN  to FC1 machine and then thru jack back to RH9 machine. It  was
suprisingly reliable. Although the crappy Intel8x0 sound  in the FC1
machine wont let me change sample rate to 44100. So I have to run RH9
machine @ 48000 and let alsaplayer deal with the rate changes (which it
seems to do well).
During some testing I stopped JACK and it wouldn't restart. It seems FC1
had just run  prelink as a daily.cron job (which doesnt happen on RH9)
and this means that when attempting to run  jackd, the wrong md5sum is
calculated and it refuses to start.
If  /usr/sbin/prelink -u /usr/bin/jackd is run then jackd is restored
and it works again. Does anyone have a better solution for Fedora Core
machines? or am I the only one seeing this?

Check out
http://www.alphalink.com.au/%7Erd/
Also I have spec files for these utlities here
http://members.iinet.net.au/~lawrieabbott/pub/jackx/

Cheers
Lawrie Abbott