[Agnula-Developers] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA menu

Free Ekanayaka free@agnula.org
Sat Feb 14 12:28:01 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > I'm currently working on a menu system for Planet CCRMA, the new cvs
> > > version of qjackctl makes it possible to finally start Jack applications
> > > from a menu! (thanks to Rui). For now I have just testing one submenu
> > > called (surprise!) "Jack Applications" :-)
> > >
> > I'm a little bit confused. Why wasn't possible to start jack apps
> > from the menu?
>
> A Jack server has to be running before you start the application.

Oh yes that's true, I was assuming this "a priori" ;-)

> > Which new feature of qjackctl are you refering to
> > (I quick glance at the changelog didn't answer me) ?
>
> Qjackctl CVS can (I tested this a couple of days) now accepts extra
> arguments to start an app after starting jack, if jack is not already
> running. So the menu for Ardour could now execute:
>   /usr/bin/qjackctl /usr/bin/ardour
> If Jack is already running you get Ardour only, otherwise you first get
> Qjackctl and then Ardour (once Jack has started).

Sounds really interesting, and think we (PlanetCCRMA and AGNULA)
could adopt this "hack" for all menu items refering to jack
applications.

As we are talking about menu, would it make sense in your opinion
to have *all* the applications included in PlanetCCRMA and AGNULA
start using Jack when launched from the menu?

I think that this could be achieved easily also for non-jackified
application using the libjackasyn library and alsa-jack driver.

bye,

free