[PlanetCCRMA] fedora core problems

Sat Feb 14 12:36:00 2004

> A couple of  problems with an  install yesterday on a Fedora Core machine.
> Something I remember also happening with my RH9 machine...  building
> JACK  bails out during configure, complaining about no libasound.
> I found on both machines if I  add a symlink ie ln -s libasound.so
> libasound.so.2  all is well. Both these machines are running CCRMA alsa
> pagages eg alsa-lib-1.0.1-1.cvs.rh90.ccrma

You are probably missing the alsa-lib-devel package, just install it:
  apt-get install alsa-lib-devel

> After getting the FC1 up I  tried out Rohan Drapes jack.udp (see link at
> end). It works quite well . I did a test playing alsaplayer thru jack
> via LAN  to FC1 machine and then thru jack back to RH9 machine. It  was
> suprisingly reliable. Although the crappy Intel8x0 sound  in the FC1
> machine wont let me change sample rate to 44100. So I have to run RH9
> machine @ 48000 and let alsaplayer deal with the rate changes (which it
> seems to do well).
> During some testing I stopped JACK and it wouldn't restart. It seems FC1
> had just run  prelink as a daily.cron job (which doesnt happen on RH9)
> and this means that when attempting to run  jackd, the wrong md5sum is
> calculated and it refuses to start.
> If  /usr/sbin/prelink -u /usr/bin/jackd is run then jackd is restored
> and it works again. Does anyone have a better solution for Fedora Core
> machines? or am I the only one seeing this?

The Jack build for FC1 undoes the prelinking off jackd on startup. It is
a gross hack but works well. Make sure that the Jack package you have
installed in the FC1 machine is the one for FC1...

The other thing that could be happening is that you do not have the
prelink package installed, so jack cannot find the binary. If so let me
know because then I'm missing a requirement in the jack spec file. Do an
"apt-get prelink" to install it if missing.

-- Fernando