[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Delta 1010

Aaron Heller heller@AI.SRI.COM
Tue Oct 19 15:55:02 2004

--On Tuesday, October 19, 2004 15:36 -0700 Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 13:51, Matt Barber wrote:
>> ->Do you remember which capacitors they were, or
>> how I might figure out which ones fried by look/smell/taste, etc?<-
>>
>> Nevermind.  I took a look inside and found one that was terribly swollen,
>> with a cracked top, right next to the power supply.  Gonna have to keep
>> this thing cool if we can fix it.
>
> It is probably not (entirely) due to heat problems. Most probably the
> voltage rating of the capacitor is on the edge and it degrades over
> time. Just see if you can find something of about the same size, same
> value but higher voltage rating. I think the ones in which we replaced
> the caps are working just fine.

Last year there was a spate of defective power filtering capacitors that
were failing on motherboards.  Turns out the companies were using a stolen
(and wrong) formula for the electrolyte.  See
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html for details.