[PlanetCCRMA] FC3, IBM T41 sound

Michael Peters mpeters@plusthree.com
Tue May 24 09:54:13 2005

Michael Peters wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just started playing around with ardour and I wanted to try out the
> ccrma low-latency kernel for FC3. I followed the instructions at
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installtwosix.html and
> everything seemed to install just fine. However, I can no longer here
> anything from my sound card (not from xmms, or the 'test sound'). This
> doesn't just happen with the ccrma kernel, but my current FC3 kernel
> (2.6.11-1.14_FC3) as well.
>
> When I try to do a 'service alsasound restart' I get the following:
>
>    Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1272:
> No soundcards found

Ok, I (semi) fixed this issue by putting a 'sleep 5' in the start up
script before the call to 'alsactl restore'. Seems like it just needed
some more time before it could see /etc/dsp. Not it says everything is 'ok'

But the sound still isn't working. Some things (like a terminal bell)
are coming through but nothing else. I've checked, rechecked, and double
rechecked the mixer settings and everything is up and nothing is muted.
I've run alsactl numerous times, and even alsaconf and rebooted.
Everything (ogg123, xmms, alsaplayer, etc) acts and runs just fine, but
no sound.

> The sound card detector (system-config-soundcard) says it's an Intel
> 82801DB/DBL/DBM AC'97.

/proc/asound/cards says:

0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                     Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at 0xc0000c00, irq 11
1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem
                     Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem at 0x2400, irq 11

Any advice?

--
Michael Peters
Developer