[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4?

Matt Marian matt1@mattmarian.homelinux.com
Wed Nov 30 20:23:01 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 23:18 +0100, Paquita wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm new to audio under linux, and about to try Planet CCRMA. I read a bit,
>>but currently it's not clear to me which Fedora Core version I should
>>install : is Planet CCRMA already ready for FC4? Or am I better off
>>staying with FC3 right now?
>>

>This is getting harder and harder to answer :-) FC3 is still the most
>complete system in terms of software available, there are a few
>ommissions still in FC4 - after the initial flurry of help I got to get
>things compiled on gcc4 the enthusiasm died down and I have been too
>busy to try again. Most probably by now those problems already have
>solutions.
>
>The only major advantage I see in FC3 is the availability of cdrom
>images which I have not recreated yet for FC4 (but FC4 has a full blown
>"all included" install dvd - experimental, of course). If you don't need
>them you could go with FC4. For the current status of the FC4 packages
>as compared to FC3 see:
>  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/fc4buildstatus.html
>
>-- Fernando
>

>>I'd rather have a stable system, and I doubt I will need anything really
>>cutting edge. My goal is to do multitrack recording using an M-Audio Duo
>>USB interface.

Only my two cents -but Ferndando has the last word
I have been using FC4 - strictly because I have a newer motherboard.
and IT WORKS  , now flawlessly.
Personally I would experiment .
If it is a dedicated machine with a NEW install you can spend an hour on
one install and play with it and retrograde if you feel it is acting oddly.
The newer version handles newer hardware (chipsets etc - raid
devices/IDE133-sata150 )  better or should I say with more options.
my Take would be go FC4  - and  retro back up to FC3 if it didn't go right
not too scientific on the one hand, but there is no better first hand
knowledge than hands on experimentation. Don't forget in fC4 to use the
latest rdt Kernel posted on this list.
Check previous postings I think it is 2.6.12-021.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma( or
same .smp version)
but read the posting - don't rely on me !
good luck, more importantly - have fun.