[PlanetCCRMA] PDa compile in fedora core 5 (gcc 4.1)

damien lock damien.lock@coscilia.com
Tue May 1 10:32:01 2007

hi all.

i am not really experienced in linux development, but i have one
question i cant find an answer to:

i am compiling a well tested package from source (Gunter Geiger's
PDa). It requires static linking, however when i compile in fedora
core 5 (planet ccrma distro) using gcc 4.1, for some reason the
linking is dynamic:

i.e. ("pd" is the resulting binary file)
file pd
pd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/
Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.6.9, not stripped

I believe the relevant part of the make file is:
static:
make pd_SRC="$(pd_SRC) $(extra_SRC)" DEFINES="-DPD -DUNIX -DSTATIC" \
      pd pd-gui pd-watchdog $(BIN_DIR)/pdsend \
      $(BIN_DIR)/pdreceive  $(BIN_DIR)/pd.tk

This problem occurs when i compile for either host target, or another
target. I checked with gunter who confirmed there should be no edits
required in the makefile for it to compile as static.

any ideas or hints you may have will be appreciated.

thanks
damien