[PlanetCCRMA] Installing extra packages onto PlanetCCRMA

Sun Sep 16 11:33:01 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 16:22 +0100, Michael TD Nelson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I could do with some advice.
>
> I'd like to install a few software packages onto my fully-updated
> PlanetCCRMA on FC6 install. They are mostly just general desktop
> additions, which are lacking in FC6 for licensing reasons. Things like
> mp3 libraries/plugins for xmms/audacity/etc, assorted web browser
> multimedia plugins, and Firefox 2.
>
> I gather that I can install some of these from a repo like livna, but
> will this break my current install? I seem to remember someone once
> recommending disabling the third-party repo after each installation.
> Does this help?

Planet CCRMA should be compatible with Livna... if it is not then let me
know. As for other repos, it is difficult to test for compatibility all
the time.

It is generally a good idea to enable the repository just for the
install of the package(s) you need. You could disable the extra ones by
default and then:

  yum --enablerepo yyy zzz

where yyy is the repo the package is on, and zzz is the package.

-- Fernando