[PlanetCCRMA] new realtime kernels for f7/8 (2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2)

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 03:05:01 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
>  <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>  > Hi all...
>  >
>  >  A new batch of realtime kernels are now available for f7 and f8, i386
>  >  and x86_64[*] (version 2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2). They are based on 2.6.24.3
>  >  plus the current crop of (beta) realtime patches from the MRG redhat
>  >  kernel (their upcoming realtime system based on RedHat Enterprise) plus
>  >  the latest patches from the Fedora 8 testing kernel.
>  >
>  >  The MRG patches include most of the rt1 patch set from Ingo, plus
>  >  additional fixes and seems, in my limited experience, to work much
>  >  better than the previous 2.6.24 kernel. We'll see...
>  >
>  Thanks Fernando. Unfortunately the same errors I had with the last
>  2.6.24 version persist in this one. However, I have the same problems
>  with the Fedora 2.6.24 kernel that I just tested, so it's not to do
>  with the RT patches.
>
>  The symptoms are: only one workspace, no window frames, no titlefram, no...
>
>  I haven't yet checked the Fedora list, but I would suspect I'm not the
>  only one with these problems. The 2.6.23 kernel (Fedora and CCRMA)
>  works fine on my system which is a Dell 640M laptop.

OK, after some reading on the Fedora list and the Fedora-dev list I
understand many users have problems with the 2.6.24 kernel. Some of
the developers think it shouldn't have been released:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-March/msg00419.html

Anyway, if it works for you, it according to some "fixes more than it
breaks", if it doesn't work for you, you're better off sticking with
the 2.6.23. Please note, this is not my opinion, it's a summary of
what I've read on the other lists...

Thanks for all the great work with PlanetCCRMA!

best,

Henrik