[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] about the Fedora Studio idea

Luis Garrido luisgarrido at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 17 01:58:18 PDT 2009

Is this really necessary? I for one am ok with all the apps
alphabetically ordered under 'Multimedia', even if they are dozens.
For the ones I really use often (e.g. qjackctl) I add a shortcut in my
app panel.

If you sub- and sub-sub- categorize too much it can be really
difficult to find one app the first time after installing it,
especially if is an app that doesn't strictly and clearly fall in one
single category.

> - Audio Player
> - Video Player
> - Both Audio and Video Player

Why not just Media Player?

> - Digital (optical) Media Creation
> - Digital (optical) Media Ripping

Everything is digital in a computer.

> - Video Creation
> - Subtitle software
> - Audio Creation (which itself has many sub-categories)

Creation? As opposed to Edition or Processing?

> I really can't decide which of the three to pick. Can I get some
> opinions here? In all the cases, we will have the issue of having some
> packages that belong to multiple subgroups. How shall we handle this?

Don't sweat it too much. I hazily remember that DeMuDi had a verbosely
categorized menu, perhaps you could have a look at it, get ideas, and
experiment whether this is really convenient.

Also bear in mind that you can create multiple entries for one single
app under different categories, if it crosses boundaries.

2 cents,