[PlanetCCRMA] SuperCollider

andersvi at notam02.no andersvi at notam02.no
Tue Sep 14 04:41:06 PDT 2010

    D> Can someone please give me a few hints as to how to approach
    D> working in SuperCollider in CCRMA?  Thanks.

    D> Questions:

    D> 1. Is there a particular version of Fedora/Centos that has 'more'
    D> of SuperCollider?  Does F13 have it 'all'?

Planetccrma has been including recent releases of SC3, with relevant
plugins and related packages, in the package 'supercollider-world'.

afaik, none of the standard linux-dists (Fedora, Ubuntu, Centos...)
provides a supercollider-package as such, however its easy to install
from source.

    D> 2. I see snapshots, but it seems like a command line program in
    D> Fedora (as opposed to OS X).  I'm confused...

SC3 is a text-based programming environment for real-time DSP (also on
osx).  You can set up guis for control or visual feedback on both
platforms.

Its not command-line as such, usually you control SC through a
client-program - sclang - which is an interactive interpreter ++

    D> 3. Which version should I use?  2.X, 3.X?

The only functional version is SC3.

    D> 4. Where is the 'canonical' documentation?

 http://supercollider.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!

-a