[PlanetCCRMA] Reliable version of Fedora using rt-kernel?

Tue Nov 15 10:53:56 PST 2011

On 11/15/2011 09:02 AM, John S. Dey wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> With the planetccrma-rt-permissions, after fixing what appears to me as a bug, I was able to start jackd in user mode.  I edited the file 99-rt-permissions.conf by changing jack-user to jackuser and logged out and back in.

Bug indeed, I just fixed that in a new version... thanks for the feedback!

> I am now running with a latency of 5.33ms with reasonable results. By the way--when I changed priorities from 20 to 99 in 99-jack.conf my system started malfunctioning, e.g., I could not get the terminal window application to start.  I corrected the situation by booting in single mode and changing the file back.

Hmm, that is strange.

> Thanks for all your assistance.  Won't it be great when all the real-time stuff gets added to the trunk of linux.  I thought it would have happened long before now.

It is a long, slow process. But we are better off than before and the rt
patch itself keeps getting smaller as bits of it are integrated into
mainline (thanks to the kernel gurus that keep working on it). At some
point it will be all in, and then we'll have to convince distributions
to make that a default in their kernel configurations, I don't
anticipate that being easy either :-)

-- Fernando