[Stk] Guitar distortion and/or feedback?

Rumi Humphrey rumi at refresh.vu
Sun Apr 8 17:33:36 PDT 2012

Hello STK list,
I'm wondering does anyone have any ideas on how to use the STK to make a distorted guitar instrument or a distortion pedal sort of effect? I've checked the Plucked, PluckTwo, and Mandolin classes and they are all really neat. I hacked them apart (mainly the delay effects) and got some distortion with feedback that sounds great at first but it gets really unstable quickly (out of control feedback). I've searched around on google a bit but I have to admit the DSP related stuff I found was a little over my head.
I'm writing a program for kids so they can make their own punk rock band and music using cartoony fish characters. I have a lot of it worked out already with FileWvIn and samples thanks to the amazing work done by the creators of the STK and contributors (Thanks!). For the guitars though I want to use an instrument instead of samples.
I'm more of an animator/artist so although I feel like I understand the STK pretty well now, I'm still a bit of an amateur at C++ and a novice with DSP. I'm decent at hacking things apart though. I've messed with the delay effect a bit and it's promising but I haven't been able to get the sound i'm looking for probably because I don't totally understand what I'm doing, it tends to go out of control and wrecks havoc on my little laptop speakers.
So I'm asking the kings/queens of this domain directly in the hope that they can help me a little.
I'm looking to make an instrument or effect for an instrument that sounds like a distorted guitar like early Ramones or hardcore/punk bands. I'd be happy to share the instrument or effect if I manage to get it sounding good.
Any clues or ideas or directions for research?
Thanks in advance!
Rumi